Friday, April 9, 2010

Fanatical

We all know them. They obsess about music. Not just any music, however, but a single band. Some love Radiohead, some love Springsteen, some love the Dead. All these musicians/groups have overly devout fan bases, yet they all seem to have (relatively) tame fanbases. I'm not here to talk about their fanbases. I want to talk about Insane Clown Posse. I know absolutely nothing about the band other than it is from Detroit, and it is pseudo hip hop, and while I'm sure the duo isn't a couple of psychotic, ultraviolent individuals, their fans, known as Juggalos have been known to commit violent acts, including murder. Before you tell me how stupid I am for talking about ICP like this, understand, I know nothing about the band, and have never met a Juggalo. However, according to Wikipedia, authorities have classified Juggalos as a gang in Utah, Arizona, Monroe County, Pennsylvania, and Modesto, California. Also, there have been numerous counts of fans committing violent acts. I am not trying to show you how evil ICP or Juggalos are. I want to try to figure out why this relationship exists between the band and its fans. ICP's songs feature lyrics that serve as morality tales. The group uses over the top lyrics to grab the attention of the fans, and their songs focus on a variety of issues and subjects including cannibalism, necrophelia, racism, bigotry, child abuse, domestic violence and murder. The group uses these shocking themes to get the listener to actually think about the stuff their talking about, rather than just passively listen. I think this band is massively misunderstood not only by the public, but also by many of their fans. I do not doubt that the majority of Juggalos understand the message ICP is sending. I just can't help but think that there is some connection between the themes of the songs, and the notoriety of the fan base as violent.




2 comments:

  1. I agree, Insane Clown Posse does seem to be very misunderstood for their fans to be considered gangs called Juggalos in several states. Like Manson I think ICP can be dramatically misunderstood because of their strong lyrics and fanatical appearances. From listening to “Hall of Illusion” it seems that the band is expressing there revulsion for how some fathers in the United States ignore and harm their families and live in their own illusion that these actions are okay. From listening to the violent lyrics of the song such as in the beginning when they are singing about chaining up a man who has drunkenly beaten his family, I can see why some people might misconstrue the message and take the violent lyrics to heart. Especially, if they have been in situations were their parents have ignored or harmed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete